Tuesday, April 17, 2012

The Unthinkable

So I'm taking a "Carbon footprint and Sustainability Analysis" class this quarter, I suppose that means it isn't surprising that I'm being asked to keep a daily journal or "budget" of my carbon emissions. Carbon emissions and the blog is called Carbonated. I wasn't kidding when I said I loved puns and word play. Just be happy, group, that I didn't steal our name from that (CabroNation) for this, and it's because I care about you so much.


Ok, back on topic. I need to make a poster at the end of all this that "highlights a change that you made and your rational for making that change" .... a change, eh? Well, I could move out of this giant house and live with 5 roommates in a studio apartment downtown, unfortunately I can't afford that or find roommates for 3 months nor have a won the lotto, so I need to find another option. Being that I'm a nerd I don't go out all that much, so my driving is pretty much limited as it is and to take the bus I'd have to drive a third of the way to school to catch a bus that leaves one major player left... meat.


If you know me at all, just hinting at not eating meat is rather blasphemous. However I'm not actually that big of a meat eater, and by that I mean I don't really consider it a necessity (bacon excluded) I just don't make any conscious effort to avoid eating it. That being said, I'm willing to bet I eat a lot more of it than I think (and I suspect I eat plenty) not to mention all the other terrible, Earth-destroying things I do in my day.


I'll be real with you and admit there's no way I'm giving up bacon totally, I mean I just bought a shirt last weekend that has the words "bacon powered" printed across the back in all caps. It's just not going to happen. I saw on a TED Talk once this guy pitching his idea for "weekday vege" which is just a few syllables short of what its full name, weekday vegetarian. This, as you might have guessed, means you can eat meat on the weekends so long as you went 5 days without it. Five days without bacon? The hell are you trying to do to me Gail? I know, I know, giving up meat was my idea and I can't blame anyone else for that.


The point of the blog (aka the journal) is to log my carbon emissions but in truth I'll probably use it for bitching about eating fruits and salads and healthy things while trying to fend of the onset of depression caused by an acute lack of bacon... or something like that. In short (is this post short? I hope not) I'm going to be putting a bunch of crap here I don't expect people to read.


Some technicals:


  • I'm starting the blog right now, but I'll officially start logging and avoiding bacon on Monday 4/23
  • I won't be pigging out on every scrap of meat I can get my hands on during the weekends (this is for you, future self. I'm watching you.)

No comments:

Post a Comment